Monday, April 25, 2011

The French Press

While in Mexico City and in Nice, the coffee maker that we had in the hotel room was not your typical mini-Mr. Coffee but a small packet of coffee and a french press. Since my wife already had the kettle on for tea and, being an addict of the stuff, what choice did I have? It was particularly flavorful and I was pleasantly surprised given the small amount of coffee. On our return, for my birthday, I got myself a French press and have not gone back to the automatic filter based machine. It provides a more flavorful coffee in a smaller volume than the automatic coffee maker and has several other advantages:
1. No filter
2. We already have a receptacle that retains hot water for tea so no extra step is needed for this.
3. The coffee can brew longer
4. It's easier to clean

That said, my wife decided to up the ante and got a stove top espresso pot where you put the water in the bottom, it boils and goes up through the grounds into a receptacle in the top ... I'm not exactly sure how this is different from a percolator, maybe the direction of flow of water/steam through the grounds but it tastes very good. My qualms with this are: smaller volume, water needs to be heated (though should be able to use the 195 F water we already have), cleaning slightly more complicated, and I was just really settling in with the french press and within a couple weeks this comes along!

Sigh, ain't that the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment