Monday, April 25, 2011

Typing

You know the adage about "Old dogs learning new tricks"?  Well, I'm in the position of being an old dog relearning mislearned tricks ... i.e. typing. 

Now, to say I'm a poor typist is both harsh and an understatement; [I thought] I knew where the fingers were supposed to go and was working on typing games and tests and was up to a wopping 40 wpm ... then, when using the lessons to increase my speed, I realized that for both hands I was off by one (for each finger)! This is tougher than if I had started from scratch since I have habit-breaking on top of learning the right way. Granted, there is some synergy between the two so the burden isn't entirely additive, but still significantly more than learning from scratch. I'm guessing that this is analogous to relearning some techniques on musical instruments when one teacher decides that the student is doing the fingering in a way that gets in the way of further development. I am looking at it that way.  I am also getting myself some voice-to-text software.  If there was some decent acoustic-to-music notation software I would get that as well to save myself some potential expense in the piano/violin/sitar lessons or the fun of teaching myself with the very real hazard of having to relearn the right way later at a greater expense.

If only I was put in the front of the class or fixed up with a mentoring student when I took a typing class, rather than shunted to the back with another student who did equally poorly ... better to teach young pups correctly and make sure they have it down the first time rather than have them repeat mistakes over years.

No comments:

Post a Comment